PIONEER CURRENT AFFAIRS
- Forbes releases Sixth Annual List of The World’s Most Innovative Companies 2016
Forbes on 24 August 2016 released the sixth annual list of The World’s Most Innovative Companies 2016. The list ranked companies using an algorithm to measure investor enthusiasm.
The list is topped by Tesla Motors for the second consecutive year. Moreover, five major Indian companies including Asian Paints, Hindustan Unilever, Tata Consultancy Services, Sun Pharma and Larsen & Toubro have been ranked among other companies in the list.
Highlights of the list
- Tesla Motors tops the list for the second consecutive year, followed by Salesforce at the second position in the list.
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals grabbed the third spot in the list, followed by Incyte at fourth place and Alexion Pharmaceuticals at fifth place.
- Innovation upstarts like Under Armour Inc. at sixth position and Monster Beverage Corp. at seventh position have dethroned former innovation leaders in their field like Nike and Coca Cola.
- Amazon.com fetched the eleventh spot in the list by outdistancing Walmart.
- Life science and biotechnology companies occupy half of the top ten spots on the list.
- Nine of the top ten companies on the list are US based.
Indian Companies on the List
- The list encompasses five Indian companies including Asian Paints, Hindustan Unilever, Tata Consultancy Services, Sun Pharma and Larsen & Toubro.
- At number 18, Asian Paints is the highest-ranked Indian company on the list, featuring on the list for the fourth time in a row.
- Hindustan Unilever fetched the 31st spot, Tata Consultancy Services got the 66th spot, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries ranked at 73rd position and Larsen & Toubro stood at 89th spot.
About The World’s Most Innovative Companies list
- The World’s Most Innovative Companies list demonstrates creative disruption and how new players come in, innovate and garner the attention of investors.
- It consists of firms that investors feel are most likely to come up with the next big innovation.
- The 100 companies ranked on the list are based on their creative disruption, potential for innovation and investor interest.
- To be included on the list, firms need seven years of financial data and 10 billion US dollars in market cap.
- Thongchai Jaidee becomes Asian Tour Golfer for July 2016
Thailand’s Thongchai Jaidee on 25 August 2016 was voted as the Hilton Asian Tour Golfer of the Month for July 2016.
Thongchai won the award ahead of Chinese Taipei’s Chan Shih-chang and Carlos Pigem of Spain. They were nominated by a selection panel before going into a voting process.
About Thongchai Jaidee
- Thongchai Jaidee is a Thai professional golfer who plays on the Asian Tour and the European Tour.
- On the Asian Tour, he holds the record for the most career earnings and is second in victories having won 13 times.
- He has won the Order of Merit on the Asian Tour three times during his career.
- In February 2004, he became the first Thai to win a tournament on the European Tour by winning the Carlsberg Malaysian Open, an event which was co-sanctioned with the Asian Tour.
- In 2006, he received a special invitation to play in the Masters Tournament. He was the second Thai to play in the Masters after Sukree Onsham. By doing so, Thongchai became the first Thai to play in all four major championships.
- He topped the Asian Tour order of merit for a third time in 2009.
- He won for the fifth time on the European Tour in June 2012 at the ISPS Handa Wales Open.
- He qualified for the 2015 Presidents Cup squad for the first time. With this, he became the first player from Thailand to earn the honour.
- In September 2015, he won his seventh European Tour title at the Porsche European Open in Germany.
- He claimed his eighth European Tour victory in July 2016, with a four stroke victory at the Open de France.
- Abhinav Bindra to Head NRAI Review Committee on Rio Debacle.
National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) on 25 August 2016 constituted a five-member review committee to probe the shooters’ Rio Games debacle.
The committee will be headed by India’s first and only individual Olympic gold-medallist Abhinav Bindra. The committee has been asked to submit the report within a maximum period of four weeks.
Mandate of the committee
- To examine and identify the causes behind shooting not securing any medals at the Rio Olympics.
- To recommend concrete steps that NRAI must immediately undertake to ensure that this is not repeated in future Olympics.
Other members of the committee include former tennis player Manisha Malhotra, who has also been appointed Convenor of the committee, NRAI Secretary Rajiv Bhatia and two journalists.
Bindra, who finished at the fourth position in the men’s 10meter air rifle event in Rio, retired from the sport in third week of August 2016.
- Cristiano Ronaldo wins UEFA Best Player in Europe award.
Cristiano Ronaldo on 25 August 2016 won the UEFA Best Player in Europe award for 2015-16. He won the award for the second time in three years.
Ronaldo defeated Antoine Griezmann and Gareth Bale to bag the honours.
Ronaldo scored 35 goals for Real Madrid in La Liga and 16 goals in Champions League competition in 2015. He scored three goals for Portugal at Euro 2016.
Ada Hegerberg was voted the winner of the UEFA Best Women’s Player in Europe Award for 2015-16 ahead of Amandine Henry and Dzsenifer Marozsan.
In 2014-15, Barcelona’s Lionel Messi was the winner of the award. Ronaldo joins Messi as the only player to win the award twice.
On the other hand, Messi won the UEFA Goal of the Season award for 2015-16.
Messi won the award for his strike against Roma. During the match, he dinked the ball over goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny in a 6-1 win over Roma in the Champions League in November 2015.
The famous goal received 73331 votes, giving Messi a 34 percent share.
- The Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) is the administrative body for association football in Europe.
- It is one of six continental confederations of world football’s governing body FIFA.
- UEFA consists of 55 national association members.
- It represents the national football associations of Europe, runs nation and club competitions including the UEFA European Championship, UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and UEFA Super Cup.
- Until 1959, its main headquarters were located in Paris, France and later in Bern, Switzerland.
- In 1995, UEFA headquarters transferred to Nyon, Switzerland.
- Henri Delaunay was the first general secretary and Ebbe Schwartz the first president.
- The last elected president was former French footballer Michel Platini.