PIONEER CURRENT AFFAIRS
- LG is the administrative head of National Capital Territory: Delhi HC.
Delhi High Court on 4 August 2016 held that Lt. Governor is the administrative head of the National Capital Territory.
A bench of Chief Justice G Rohini and Justice Jayant Nath dismissed AAP Government’s plea challenging the Union Government’s 21 May 2015 notification giving absolute powers to LG in appointing bureaucrats in the national capital.
National Capital Territory
Major highlights of the Verdict
- The court said AAP government’s contention that LG is bound to act on advice of Council of Ministers is without any substance and cannot be accepted.
- AAP Government had contended that the notification barring Anti Corruption Bureau (ACB) from proceeding against Central Government employees is neither illegal nor unsustainable.
- Ruling that the Service matters were outside the jurisdiction of Delhi Legislative Assembly, the court said that LG exercising the powers is not unconstitutional.
- The court also held as illegal AAP government’s order appointing Commission of Inquiry in the CNG fitness scam and DDCA scam since the same was issued without concurrence of LG.
While delivering its judgment, the court referred the Constitutional Provisions mentioned under Article 239 and Article 239AA together with the provisions of the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi Act, 1991 and the Transaction of Business of the Government of NCT of Delhi Rules, 1993.
In consonance with the above, the Bench held that Article 239 of the Constitution “continues to be applicable to NCT of Delhi and insertion of Article 239AA by the Constitution (69th Amendment) Act, 1991 has not diluted the application of Article 239 in any manner.”
Besides, the court also dismissed a bunch of nine petitions centered on common issues relation to the exercise of legislative power and executive control in the administration of National Capital Territory of Delhi (NCTD).
Article 239 & 239A
Article 239 provides for appointment of an administrator by the President for administering a Union Territory.
On the other hand, Article 239AA provided for making Union territory of Delhi as the National Capital Territory (NCT) and a Legislative Assembly for the NCT for which seats shall be filled by members chosen by direct election from territorial constituencies in the NCT.
Delhi Governments Stand
After the verdict, the AAP government in a statement said it will challenge High Court order holding that the Lieutenant Governor is the administrative head of the National Capital Territory as it undermined the powers of the council of ministers given by the Constitution. They will challenge the verdict at the Supreme Court.
- Nimesh Kampani resigns as Managing Director of JM Financial Ltd
Nimesh Kampani on 3 August 2016 resigned as the Managing Director of JM Financial Ltd with effect from 30 September 2016. However, Kampani will continue to be the Non-Executive Chairman of the group and a director on the board of a few group companies at JM Financial.
Nimesh Kampani will be succeeded by his son Vishal Kampani as the Managing Director of JM Financial with effect from 1 October 2016.
About Nimesh Kampani
- Kampani became a well-known figure in the stock market circles after he brokered the Ambani brothers settlement in 2005.
- Besides this, he is also on the board of Nusli Wadia company Britannia and was on the board of Essar Shipping owned by the Ruia brothers.
- He also teamed up with former CitiBank CEO Vikram Pandit to form a NBFC venture called JM Financial Credit Solutions Ltd that is engaged in real estate financing.
- Shubha Mudgal to be awarded Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award.
The advisory committee of the Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award on 30 July 2016 decided that the 23rd Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award will be given to Shubha Mudgal.
Mudgal will be honoured for her outstanding contribution towards the promotion of communal harmony, peace and goodwill.
The singer will be presented with the Award on 20 August 2016 at Jawahar Bhawan Auditorium.
About Shubha Mudgal
- Shubha Mudgal is a well-known Indian singer of Hindustani classical music, Khayal, Thumri, Dadra, and Indian pop music.
- In 1996, she was awarded the 1996 National Film Award for Best Non-Feature Film Music Direction for Amrit Beej.
- At the 34th Chicago International Film Festival, she was awarded the 1998 Gold Plaque Award for Special Achievement in Music for her music in the film Dance of the Wind.
- In 2000, she was honoured with the Padma Shri.
About Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award
- Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award is an Indian award given for outstanding contribution towards promotion of communal harmony, national integration and peace.
- The award was instituted by All India Congress Committee of the Indian National Congress Party in 1992.
- It was instituted to commemorate the lasting contribution made by the former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
- The award carries a citation and a cash award of 10 lakh rupees.
- It is given on 20 August, the birth anniversary of Rajiv Gandhi, which is celebrated as Sadbhavna Diwas.
- In 2014, the award was given to filmmaker Muzaffar Ali.
- Aadhaar-linked e-Signature facility launched to digitise documents.
Online legal documentation startup LegalDesk.com on 3 August 2016 launched the electronic signing feature eSignDesk that allows people to sign documents digitally from remote places.
With over a billion Aadhaar cardholders and about 25 million transactions taking place every quarter, digital signatures are expected to save time, money and paper.
Highlights of the eSignDesk Facility
- Built on the Aadhaar platform, eSign is an initiative of the Union Government and meant to save money and time for citizens.
- Its users need to have a registered mobile number associated with the Aadhaar card.
- The service will be available on www.eSignDesk.com and will be offered for free to the first 1000 users.
- The documents signed electronically will be legally valid in the country.
- The e-signature deters fraud to a large extent as it cannot be replicated or forged, and the content of the document cannot be tampered with.
- SAARC Immigration Authorities meeting held in Islamabad.
The seventh meeting of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Immigration Authorities was held on 2 August 2016 in Islamabad, Pakistan.
Usman A. Bajwa, Pakistan’s Director General Immigration and Passports, chaired the meeting.
The meeting aimed at formulating recommendations to be presented in the meetings of Home Secretaries and Interior Ministers meetings.
Key highlights of the meeting
- It reviewed different areas to maximize the potential of visa exemption scheme launched among the member countries in 1992.
- It also planned on development of security software for SAARC Visa Exemption Scheme (SVES) and immigration matters.
- SVES will help in transforming the existing manual system of the scheme into an online visa application system.
- It will have a central database that will provide all member states with real-time and secure information.
About SAARC Visa Exemption Scheme
- The SAARC Visa Exemption Scheme was launched in 1992.
- During the Fourth Summit held in Islamabad in 1988, the leaders decided that certain categories of dignitaries should be entitled to a Special Travel document, which would exempt them from visas within the region.
- As directed by the Summit, the Council of Ministers regularly kept under review the list of entitled categories.
- Currently, the list included 24 categories of entitled persons, which include Dignitaries, Judges of higher courts, Parliamentarians, Senior Officials, Businessmen, Journalists, Sportsmen and so on.
- The Visa Stickers are issued by the respective Member States to the entitled categories of that particular country.
- The validity of the Visa Sticker is generally for one year.
- The implementation is reviewed regularly by the Immigration Authorities of SAARC Member States.