PIONEER CURRENT AFFAIRS
- Andhra Pradesh signs MoU with Japan to develop food value chain.
The Andhra Pradesh government on 30 July 2016 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Japan to develop a food value chain in the state.
Under the MoU, Japan’s Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF) will encourage direct investments by Japanese companies in the fields of agriculture and food-related industry in Andhra Pradesh.
Along with developing a food value chain, it will also establish food industrial parks and develop cold chains.
Andhra Pradesh occupies a premier position in agri-business with a major contribution in agriculture, horticulture, dairy, poultry, fisheries and marine production.
- Mohun Bagan Ratna conferred on Syed Nayeemuddin.
Mohun Bagan Football Club on 29 July 2016 conferred the Mohun Bagan Ratna on Syed Nayeemuddin, India’s only Dronacharya football coach.
Nayeemuddin was chosen for the prestigious award for his overall contribution to the club and the country both as a player and as a coach.
The former India captain became the 16th recipient of the prestigious award.
Who is Syed Nayeemuddin?
- Syed Nayeemuddin is an Indian football coach and former player.
- As a player, he captained the Indian national team that won a bronze medal at the 1970 Asian Games.
- He was appointed coach of India in 1997.
- He won the South Asian Football Federation Cup by beating the Maldives 5–1 and reached the semi-finals of the Nehru Cup for the first time.
- He is the only sports-person to win both the Arjuna and Dronacharya Awards for football.
About Mohun Bagan Ratna
- The Mohun Bagan Ratna is awarded annually to great football players.
- It is a mark of respect which recognizes and lauds indispensable contribution of football greats to the club over the years.
- In 2015, Karuna Sankar Bhattacharya was honoured posthumously with the Mohun Bagan Ratna.
- Justice DB Bhosale sworn-in as Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court.
Justice Dilip Babasaheb Bhosale was sworn-in as the Chief Justice of the Allahabad High Court on 30 July 2016. His oath of the office was administered by Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik.
The post had been vacant since May 2016 after Justice Bhosale’s predecessor, Justice DY Chandrachud, was elevated to the Supreme Court. He retired on 23 October 2018.
Who is Justice Dilip Babasaheb Bhosale?
- Born on 24 October 1956, Justice Bhosale belongs to a family of freedom fighters.
- His father Babasaheb Bhosale had served as Chief Minister of Maharashtra.
- He obtained a Degree of Law from Government Law College, Mumbai and joined the Bar in June 1980.
- During his illustrious career as a lawyer, he served as Chairman of the Bar Council of Maharashtra and Vice-Chairman of Bar Council of India.
- He was member of the Legal Education Committee for 3 years (1998-2000) constituted under the Advocates Act.
- He had the honour to be a member of the delegation representing Lawyers in India in the Common-Wealth Lawyers Conference held in September-1999 at Kaulalampur, Malaysia.
- He also led the delegation of Indian Lawyers to the International Lawyers Conference of I.B.A in 2000.
- He was elevated as a judge of the Bombay High Court in 2001.
- n Before being appointed as Chief Justice in Allahabad High Court he served as a judged in Karnataka High Court and Acting Chief Justice at the Hyderabad High Court.
- India to host Kabaddi World Cup in October 2016.
International Kabaddi Federation on 31 July 2016 announced selected India to host The 2016 Kabaddi World Cup. The World Cup featuring 12 countries is scheduled to be held in October 2016, the dates for the event will be announced later.
Participants of the tournament include India, USA, Canada, UK, Australia, Iran, Poland, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Korea, Japan and Kenya.
Kabaddi became a part of Asian Games in the year 1990 and India has won all the gold medals since.
- Official broadcaster: Star Sports was selected to broadcast the 2016 Kabaddi World Cup
- President of International Kabaddi Federation: Janardan Singh Gehlot Kabaddi
- Kabaddi originated from India and is the one of the most popular games of Asia.
- It is probably the only game which requires ground and a whistle only.
- It came on international Map during SAF Games Dhaka in 1985.
- Kabaddi saw its major breakthrough in 1990 when it was included in the Asian Games during 11th Asian Games at Beijing-China in 1990, since then Kabaddi is a regular discipline in Asian Games.
- Kabaddi was included in Asian Indoor Games during 2nd Asian Indoor Games at Macau-SAR China in 1997.
- Kabaddi achieved one more success when it was included in Asian Beach Games during 1st Asian Beach Games at Bali-Indonesia in 1998 and that too for Men & Women both.
- It is the only game being played in all the 3 versions of Asian Games i.e. Asian Games, Asian Indoor Games and Asian Beach Games
- Women Kabaddi was included in Asian Games during 16th Asian Games at Guangzhou in 2010.
- Tokyo elects Yuriko Koike as first female governor.
Former Japanese Defence Minister Yuriko Koike on 31 July 2016 was elected as the first woman governor of Tokyo, the capital city of Japan.
Koike garnered more than 2.9 million votes in the election, defeating her opponents, Hiroya Masuda and Shuntaro Torigoe, by a wide margin.
Who is Yuriko Koike?
- Yuriko Koike is a Japanese politician.
- She served as the member of the House of Representatives of Japan from 1993 to 2016 when she resigned to run in the Tokyo gubernatorial election.
- She was elected to the House of Councillors in 1992 as a member of the Japan New Party.
- She was then elected to the House of Representatives in 1993.
- In 1996, she was re-elected to the House of Representatives. She held this seat in the 2000 election as a candidate of the New Conservative Party
- She joined the Liberal Democratic Party in 2002.
- She served as the Minister of the Environment and Minister of State for Okinawa and Northern Territories Affairs in the Cabinet of Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi.
- She was appointed Minister of Defence, Japan’s first female defence minister, in June 2007 during the first term of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. However, she announced her resignation in August 2007, citing the Aegis classified information leak scandal as a reason.
- Luke Aikins became first person to jump from 25000 feet without a parachute or wing suit.
Luke Aikins, a skydiver with 18000 jumps, on 30 July 2016 jumped from 25000 feet (7620 meters) without a parachute a wing suit. With this he became the first man in the world history to dive from mid-tropospheric altitude and land safely without a parachute or a wing suit or anything else that might helped him stop or slow his descent. 42-year-old, Aikins, completed the stunt without mishap, landing almost in the middle of the 100ft by 100ft (30.5-by-30.5-meter) net.
- Born on 23 November 1973, Aikins is an American professional skydiver, pilot, and prominent member of an elite team of skydivers, BASE jumpers, and paraglider pilots who explore and advocate the possibilities of human flight (known as the Red Bull Air Force).
- In 2012, he was one of the eminent figures who helped skydiver Felix Baumgartner jump from a hot air balloon in the stratosphere of 120,000 feet.
- He performed some stunts for Ironman 3.