Pioneer Current Affairs
- Rajesh Kumar Chaturvedi appointed as Chairman of CBSE.
Rajesh Kumar Chaturvedi was on 14 July 2016 appointed as the Chairman of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) for a five-year term. The post had been lying vacant since December 2014.
Until now, Joint Secretary of the Union Human Resource Development Ministry Y S K Seshu Kumar was holding the additional charge of Chairman of the CBSE.
Chaturvedi was appointed after the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) decided that CBSE Chairperson will be appointed through Central Staffing Scheme and not through Search-Cum-Selection Committee method.
Chaturvedi is a 1987- batch IAS officer from Madhya Pradesh cadre. Chaturvedi has wide-ranging experience in the revenue and commerce departments. However, he has never worked in the education sector.
About Dr Kinshuk
- He received his doctoral degree from De Montfort University in England and a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from University of Rajasthan in India.
- Since 2010, he served as an associate dean at Athabasca University in Alberta, Canada, where he helped lead the Faculty of Science and Technology.
- Prior to this, he served as Director in the School of Computing and Information Systems.
- Kinshuk also served as Industrial Research Chair in Adaptivity and Personalisation in Informatics for the National Science and Engineering Council of Canada.
- At Massey University in New Zealand, Kinshuk was the director of the Advanced Learning Technologies Research Centre.
- He also was a research fellow for the German National Research Centre for Information Technology in St. Augustin, Germany.
- Earlier in his career he was a part-time lecturer at the Government Polytechnic College in India.
In early 2015, a search-cum-selection committee had sent the name of Satbir Bedi for the post of Chairman of CBSE, but DoPT rejected him as well on the grounds that he didn’t fulfil the basic qualification of having been education administrator for three years.
- K V R Murthy appointed as CMD of Jute Corp of India.
The Jute Corporation of India Limited on 12 July 2016 announced that K V R Murthy has taken over as its Chairman-cum-Managing Director. He took over the position from 2 July 2016.
Murthy’s appointment is for a period of five years or till the date of his superannuation, whichever is earlier.
Murthy was earlier associated with Eastern Railways in the capacity of Chief Commercial Manager.
About Jute Corp of India
- The Jute Corporation of India Ltd. (JCI) is an agency of the Government of India that assists jute cultivators in states where this crop is grown, providing minimum price support.
- JCI was established in 1971.
- It is based in Kolkata.
- An audit issued in February 2010 identified various deficiencies in the JCI operations that were severely handicapping its effectiveness.
- At first a small agency, it has steadily grown and now operates in the main jute-growing states of West Bengal, Bihar, Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura, Orissa, and Andhra Pradesh.
3.Harika Dronavalli wins Fide Women’s Grand Prix trophy in China.
India’s Grand Master Harika Dronavalli on 14 July 2016 won the Fide Women’s Grand Prix trophy in Chendu, China. This was the first Grand Prix Chess title for the Grand Master from Guntur.
Harika defeated Russia’s Olga Girya to win the title.
Harika finished on 7 points in the round robin tournament featuring the world’s top 12 players to be crowned the champion.
Other Indian Grand Master Koneru Humpy defeated Antoaneta Stefanova to catch up with her compatriot Harika Dronavalli on the shared first place with 7/11 points each. Harika, however, was declared winner for finishing with a better tie-break record in the tournament.
Ju Wenjun was awarded the trophy for third place, after edging Stefanova and Anna Muzychuk on tie-break
- 11th ASEM summit begins in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
The eleventh edition of Asia-Europe Meeting Summit (ASEM11) or ASEM2016 began in Ulaanbaatar, the capital of Mongolia. The theme of the Summit is ‘Partnership for the Future through Connectivity‘.
World leaders including from the leaders of 51 member countries and the representatives of European Union and Asian are attending the two day summit.
Indian delegation is led by Vice President Mohmmad Hamid Ansari. India’s agenda for the summit is to push the efforts to boost inter-continental connectivity.
ASEM2016 is being held in the new world environment following Britain’s exit from the European Union and a global economic slowdown.
It is also first major multilateral diplomatic gathering after recent ruling by UN-backed international tribunal which has struck down China’s claims in strategic South China Sea.
ASEM2016 will also take into consideration the issue of terrorism during deliberations after recent terror strike in Bangladesh and some European countries.
About Asia-Europe Meeting Summit (ASEM)
ASEM is an informal process of dialogue and cooperation that brings 53 entities – including 51 countries (including India) from Asia and Europe and two regional bodies European Union (EU) and the ASEAN.
It was officially established in March 1996 at the first summit in Bangkok, Thailand.
The dialogue addresses political, economic and cultural issues between the two regions.
It also seeks to strengthen the relationship between the two regions in a spirit of mutual respect and equal partnership.
ASEM represents around 62.3% of the world’s population, 57.2% of the global GDP and almost 60% of the world’s trade.
- DRDO successfully tests New Advanced Towed Artillery Artillery Gun System.
The Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) successfully conducted proof firing tests of Armament system for 155 mm x 52 calibre New Advanced Towed Artillery Artillery Gun System (ATAGS). The tests were conducted as part of technical trials at Proof & Experimental Establishment (PXE) in Balasore, Odisha.
- ATAGS is fully indigenously built towed artillery gun system undertaken in mission mode by DRDO as a part of artillery modernisation programme of Indian Army. Pune based Armament Research & Development Establishment (ARDE) is the nodal laboratory of DRDO for design and development of ATAGS along with collaboration of other DRDO laboratories.
- The Armament system of ATAGS mainly comprises a barrel, muzzle brake, breech mechanism and recoil mechanism to fire 155 mm calibre ammunitions.
- It has a longer firing range of 40 Kms with accuracy and precision and provides greater fire power.
- It is also has night firing capability in direct fire mode.
- ATAGS has been configured with all electric drive in order to ensure maintenance free and reliable operation over a longer period of time.
- It also has advanced features in terms of high mobility, quick deployability, auxiliary power mode, advanced communication system, automatic command and control system.
6.India, ADB sign $100 Million Loan pact on Cauvery basin development.
India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) have signed a 100 million dollars loan agreement for irrigation projects, drainage system and water management in Vennar sub-basin of Cauvery delta in Tamil Nadu.
The project seeks to improve water management and strengthen embankments of 6 major irrigation water channels in Vennar system.
Cauvery river basin is a critical source of water for agriculture in Tamil Nadu and neighbouring states.
The vast majority of the delta’s population is engaged in farming and fishing. Earlier due to lack of investment the left irrigation system was unable to meet user demand and increasingly vulnerable to floods and droughts.
- The project aims to improve existing infrastructure and also provide flood protection and renewed access to irrigation.
- The loan funds will support Tamil Nadu’s water resources professionals to manage resources better, and with greater involvement of the stakeholders they service.
- Under it, flood forecasting and warning systems will be also installed.A flood risks map will be also drawn to help communities respond more effectively to extreme events.
- The loan will be provided from ADB’s ordinary capital resources which has a 25-year term.
- The project is expected to be completed by December 2020.
About Asian Development Bank (ADB)
ADB is multilateral lending agency based in Manila, Philippines. It is dedicated to reduce poverty in Asia and the Pacific region through inclusive economic growth, environmentally sustainable growth, and regional integration. It is collectively owned by 67 members – 48 from the region including India.